History

The Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte was founded in November 1946 and started its activities in March 1947. It is located in a historic building on Königsplatz, the former “Administrative Building of the National Socialist Party”. The Central Art Collecting Point had been installed in the building in June 1945 by the American Military Government. The mission of this art collecting facility was the restitution to the rightful owners of looted art confiscated by the National Socialist regime all over Europe during the Second World War.

Directors of the Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte:

  • 1946-1947 Wolfgang Lotz (as Acting Director)
  • 1947-1970 Ludwig Heinrich Heydenreich
  • 1970-1989 Willibald Sauerländer
  • Since 1991: Wolf Tegethoff (from 1989-1991 the managing director of the Institute)
  • Since 2015: Ulrich Pfisterer (together with Wolf Tegethoff)

Further Reading:

Iris Lauterbach (Hrsg.): Das Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte, München: Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte 1997 (Veröffentlichungen des Zentralinstituts für Kunstgeschichte in München, XI)